Thursday, June 2, 2011

I feel you in my heart, and I don't even know you..

{Idea stolen from Ashley}

Dear future husband,

Hi. I do not know you, and you do not know me. Chances are that you have a list written up somewhere of what you want in a wife, just as I have a list of things I need in a husband.

I hope that I live up to your list. I'm doing everything I can to prepare to.

I know that my experiences in life have made me cynical towards love and marriage. All I can really ask of you is patience, and lots of love to help me trust again. I can tell you now that I'll have lots of anxiety attacks and worries about silly things. I hope that you can hold my hand through those difficult times and I promise to do the same for you.

Expensive things don't matter to me much. I don't mind if we're poor at first. I don't need big gifts or fancy cars. It would mean so much more to me if I came home to a picnic set up in the living room with a $5 dollar pizza than if we planned to go out to eat. Thoughtful gestures like really mean the world to me.

I already know that my family will love and accept you, and I hope that you will feel like a part of my family, and that I will feel like a part of yours. I hope going back and forth for holidays will be a blessing rather than a burden.

I can't wait to cook dinner together, to lay in bed and talk before we fall asleep, to hold hands in the car and leave little notes for each other-to do all the little things that make the love last, that I missed so much in my last marriage.

I hope that when you promise me that you'll never leave me, that I can believe you. I pray that when I'm getting ready for our wedding day, I'll know with a surety that someday I won't be getting ready to walk into court for our divorce.

I know that this all sounds quite selfish, but I promise you that I will do my best to give you everything you want and need in return. If you are happy in our marriage, I will be too.

Just don't ever give up on me...

Love, Heidi

4 comments:

  1. Sometimes, in the middle of reading, I forget that it's you speaking, and not me.

    And having written (kind-of) the same letter at one point in my life, I can tell you, he's really out there for you. You'll be eating a pizza picnic in your living room soon enough. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sydney B. DonaldsonJune 2, 2011 at 3:07 PM

    I want to "Like" Ashley @ divorced at 20's comment! Hilarious! Heidi I love you. You deserve the world, you really do. There really are guys out there who are like that -- I'm married to one!

    ReplyDelete