Monday, October 3, 2011

The Worth of Souls

Well, hello, strangers. Long time no see.

I've been kinda M.I.A. in the blog world. And not because I don't have a crazy awesome life to document, but because I have a crazy busy life, and actually living it leaves me little time to blog.
Which is fine by me.

So just a quick catch up on my life for those who care before we get to the actual post:

  • I'm sick constantly. Literally, constantly. And nobody knows why and tests don't seem to help come to a conclusion. So when I keel over and die before I'm 30, somebody please just make sure there's a life size cardboard cutout of me for people to take photos with in place of a casket at my funeral. Also, I'd like the funeral to be open mic. That is all. (On the plus side, eating anything really does make me feel like I'm dying, so I see some potential weight loss in the future. Cup half full, people!)
  •  I work 6 days a week. So yep..There's really nothing to be said about that. 
  • I gave up Dr. Pepper. And hell froze over. I also heard there were pigs flying in South America. But it's been 1 week and 2 days. Go me.
Ok, now onto the real stuff.
I was texting my really good friend Ryan the other night about some boy or another, and made a comment to the effect of,
"Yeah, but he'd never date me, I'm not cute enough."
(see, Ry and I have made it through a stupid amount of crap together, so I feel comfortable saying these things to him.)
(me and Ry. He's awesome and single, ladies.)
So Ryan, being the wise man that he is, called me immediately and told me to stop beating myself up.
And that I was better than that. And all of these nice things, that I wasn't really expecting.
It kind of hit me harder than it usually does when Ry tells me to stop being mean about his friend.

I usually brush it off.
Until last night, when I went to see The Joseph Smith movie in the visitor's center with my friend Jason. 
In a part of the movie, Joseph Smith stands and rebukes the men holding him prisoner, who are saying pretty vile things about the Mormons. 
He chastises them with this truth: 
"The worth of every soul is great in the sight of God."

And all of a sudden, I wanted to go hug and apologize to any person who I have ever said negative things about.
Then I stopped, and realized that I was one of those people.
My soul is great in the sight of God.
I would never look at somebody else and say that they were fat, or ugly, so why, as a child of God, should I treat myself any differently?

I know this post is different than my usual cynical rant, but I just want to share my testimony that God does love each and every one of us, despite our mistakes and flaws.
And I know that as we learn to love ourselves by recognizing our worth in the sight of God, 
our ability to love others will grow, and we will have happiness in life.

So, find a reason to love yourself today. And I will too. 

Have a happy week.

7 comments:

  1. You are so cute Heidi and I think you're great!

    And thank you for sharing this, it's one of those things I just needed to hear right now ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really needed this today. :] You are great. We are twins. I'm also sick and nobody has a clue what in the world is wrong with me. It's awesome. I think they think I am pretending. Anyway, GO YOU! About the DP! I wish I was that strong... I drink a 64oz everyday... :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this Heidi! Thanks so much! You are awesome! I love reading your blog because I can relate to it in an indirect way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post heidi! Thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really ARE happilyheidi in this one!!

    I love watching the Joseph Smith movie. I have a testimony that anybody who has a question in their heart, could watch that and find an answer. So many times.. I drove to Mesa from Glendale just to watch it, and each time a different line in the movie jumped out and sank deep into my soul. I'm glad that happened for you.

    President Uchtdorf's talk from the General RS Meeting was perfect. Basically, stop being so hard on yourself and you're so much more gorgeous than you give yourself credit for. I know I'm one of the millions of women who needed it.

    Thanks for sharing and reminding me that I need to be nice to myself, too. :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Heidi,
    I loved this post. And all the previous posts before. You are funny. And that Ryan guy sure is a wise guy. Anyway I just love you! And that really is one of my favorite parts of that movie.

    ReplyDelete