Tuesday, December 27, 2011

So this is the new year..

I'm not usually one for New Year's resolutions. The way I see it, if I'm going to resolve to change, or to do something spectacular, I shouldn't wait for a specific day to do so.

Yet as the end of the year comes to a close, I find myself reflecting on this past year, and letting my imagination wander to what I want next year to bring.

I know that I want 2012 to be starkly different from 2011. I spent much of this year in a daze, trying to sort things out and learning to live a life I never thought I'd know. I know that the topic of my divorce is a tired one and you're all probably as sick as I am of beating the dead horse. But it would be impossible to illustrate why and how 2012 will differ from this year without bringing it up. A large part of my life centered around that particular event this year. And I don't resent that. It was necessary.

But it's time to move on.

A quote I read on twitter today sums up perfectly the manner in which I wish to live my life this upcoming year:

"Stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone ought to be." -Elizabeth Gilbert

I'm ready to be my crazy, happy self again-perhaps a {very} refined version of the high school Heidi that would do anything on a dare, sing without caring who could hear, and did anything for a laugh.
 In 2012, as cliche as this will sound, I just want to live. I don't want to look back, like I am now, and wish that I had just paid the $50 to see that band I've always wanted to see. I want to make as many friends as possible, and go on last minute trips to Disneyland. I want to look back at this second chance I have to be a single young adult, and say, "That divorce may have been hell, but I sure had a lot of freaking good times to make up for it."

David Bowie said it best:
 Have a happy new year.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard that quote by Elizabeth GIlbert before and I LOVE IT. Might just be my new motto :)

    ReplyDelete