Thursday, February 14, 2013

Love

Last year, I was expecting to dread Valentine's Day. It would be my first after my divorce was final, and that following week was the year anniversary of our separation.

Valentine's Day was for lovers. I knew that it would be a reminder of what I didn't have anymore.

Then, I met my best friend, Jerah. We hardly knew each other, and decided we would get together to make Valentines to send out to all of our friends.


Without realizing it, my view on the day changed. I became excited to send mail to friends who might not otherwise get a Valentine. I was excited to show people that I cared about them. I found a new best friend in the process. 

I'm generally a pretty cynical person. I understand why people feel bitterness on this day, and complain about "Singles Awareness Day" on every social media outlet. I get it. I would be lying if I said there isn't still a dull ache in my heart thinking about the events that happened during this week a couple of years ago. Of course, I wish that I had a significant other to shower me with gifts and chocolate spend the day with.

But, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I LOVE VALENTINE'S DAY.

I love seeing Instagram posts of people who got their card in the mail. 


I love taking my cousin out for the evening, and celebrating our close friendship.

I love that even though I'm single, there are people I can do things for.
 
I love knowing that even though, yes, I should show love every day of the year (and I try to), there is an extra day set aside to show even more love. Why not celebrate that?!

Valentine's Day may not be everything we expect it to be. I may not (ok, definitely won't) get flowers delivered to my office, or a sweet note left on my car. 

But I can show extra love to those around me, and to be honest, that's all I think matters. (The cupcakes my boss brought in for breakfast might have mattered a little bit, too.) When you're loving those around you, it becomes so much easier to love yourself, and if this day presents an opportunity to do that, I say take it.

So, there you have it. My shockingly un-cynical view on Valentine's Day. And because I love you, I'll end with this:

and this:



Happy Valentine's Day.

4 comments:

  1. Great post, Heidi. I think I need to adopt your view of Valentine's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! You are such a strong lady and I look up to you tons and tons. Please be my friend forevs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those cards you made. You should make more and sell them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. I've been trying to get Jerah into the card making business with me (she printed the deer, and I did the lettering). I think it would be so fun.

      Delete